Saturday, October 11, 2008

Imonae, Flushing's Best BBQ

Alright, so it's been quite a while since I've had Korean BBQ (e.g. samkyopsal, kalbi) at a restaurant, because quite frankly, it's damn expensive. Doing it up at home is a far more affordable alternative. But the other night, we got invited, which is a totally different thing altogether (because it means I'm not paying)! So our gracious host--my friend's boss--took us out to Imonae Gui 이모네 구이, a small restaurant without an English sign on Union St. south of Northern Blvd. It was my first time there, and man was I surprised. This is exactly the kind of place you don't want to try, because if you do, you'll be hooked. Honestly, I thought I knew delicious Korean BBQ, but this place reminded me how much I'd forgotten--after all, doing it up perfectly at home doesn't compete with what this place was offering--nor do many of the nearby restaurants. Thick slabs of juicy samkyopsal cooking up on the grill along with mushrooms and small pieces of pumpkin squash was making my mouth water. Among the banchun (sidedishes), was a fantastic dish of chotcal--probably some of the best chotcal I've had (and I don't usually like the stuff!). I ate and ate and I would have eaten more if I could have physically. I don't remember BBQ being so delicious even in Korea--and it's damn good in Korea! Go with the thick samkyopsal (one order per person; with a group of four you could get by with three orders, but don't order less than that). atmosphere: A- (pretty authentic -- soju flowing generously)
prices: average for BBQ (~$15-$20/person)
service: A (fast)

food: A+ (Dynomite!)

Check it out:

Imonae Gui between 37th Ave and Northern on Union St.
36-26 Union St.
Flushing, NY 11354
718-353-3444
*again, no English sign.




View Larger Map

1 comment:

Walet.twins said...

Hi Ready Go, returning a visit to your blogs. Good stuffs too!
I always wonder how people come across my blog? Shed some lights to me.
Also like to learn from you how to add Google Map. Attempted before, but seem very complicated!

My email chng.charles@gmail.com

Thanks again